Sunday 21 August, 2011

Lets Eradicate This Corruption Pox

The corruption today is indeed a big menace facing our society. It has crept into and found place in almost all walks of our lives. The BSNL’s, the registrar’s offices, RTO offices, public works, BESCOMs, etc are a few entry level examples. Then, the high offices of judicial branches and armed forces are also corrupted/ polluted. Our political system and politicians sets the benchmark of corruption. Under the clock of current central government, one or more high level scams are always active. Our prime minister Mr Manmohan Singh, who is at the helm of the affairs of the governance, has transformed himself into  “Mauni”Mohan Singh and has maintained a prolonged silence. The real Prime Minister Sonia Maino has gone abroad unexpectedly for some medical treatment. Only God know her true motives as it is hard to believe that that she could not find a single good doctor for her treatment in a country which is capable of making nuclear bombs, a country capable of making fighter planes, and a country capable of launching satellites into space. Even the by-default future prime minister is not coming out with any comment as to what should be done to deal with this corruption menace. Our by-default future prime minister quickly comes out on national TV when he has to score points over rival governments in UP or MP or Gujarat but goes to hibernation when he has to deal with the issues faced by the national public.
There are many social crusaders fighting the corruption in their own ways. The Civil Society team under the able leadership of Shri Anna Hajare ji is fighting the battle to enact the Jan Lok Pal which will help in creating an ethical framework at public places. A few weeks back, Bharat Swabhiman Sansthan under the able leadership of Baba Ramdev launched campaign to fight the corruption. The present government in an extremely cruel manner suppressed Baba Ramdev and opened investigation against him using its investigative agencies. Also, the officials and ministers of the present central government have entered into character assassination of Anna as well. 
True that the parliament makes the rules but who elects the parliament, people, right? Who pays for the bills of the parliamentarians, people, right? True that the parliament has a role to play in democracy but democracy also says “for the people, by the people”.  It does not say “for the parliamentarians, by the people”. If the parliamentarians are called the servants of people, why can’t they listen to their masters who are people? Both Anna and Ramdev may have tens of shortcomings but that’s OK, they are human beings but their heart is at right place. They are fighting for the betterment of our country and trying to provide solution options to fight with the corruption leprosy.
Our nation is passing thru a tough ordeal right now where failure is not an option.  We as nationals of our country have to take sides.  The team Anna and for that matter whosoever is filling the vacuum of able leadership should be provided our active support.  We need to do whatever little we can to eradicate this corruption pox from our nation.
I want to share a couple of examples from my side which I have done and intend to do.
Last August (2010), I made the final payment to Kotak Mahindra (KMPL) of my Honda City car loan. That was a moment of pride for me as I could call the car my own from that point onwards. But, the RC book still had KMPL name on it. So, I took an NOC from KMPL and approached Yelehanka RTO office to de-hypothecate KMPL name from the RC book. In the RTO office, I was made to run around from one place to other place and was made to come to RTO office several times. The folks in RTO office came up with new set of documentation requirements during my visits there. I knew and realized very well as to why I was getting such a hard time from RTO folks.  But me being me, I was hell bent and determined not to pay any “suvidha shulk” to anyone, not a single paisa, and provided them the documentation whatever they wanted. Finally, after 4 visits to RTO office, the KMPL name was removed from the RC book. My perseverance and forbearance has paid off. I feel proud that I was not the medium of further corruption of already corrupted environment.
I have moved to my new house about one year back. In spite of my not liking, I have reluctantly paid thousands of rupees as “Suvidha Shulk” for registering my house. Now the next thing is to transfer the “Khata” in my name. As my residential complex comes under the jurisdiction of Panchayt, I approached the Panchayat office where I was told that I have to pay a hefty amount for “khata transfer” into my name.  Here also, I intend to be a tough cookie. If I have to go to the Panchayat office ten times, I will go. I will provide them whatever documentation they need from me. If need be, I will not hesitate in making use of RTI. But one thing I certainly have in my head that I will not pay any “Suvidha shulk” here as well. I have already started feeling proud about it.
It is my appeal to all of you to take this kind of tough stand on one or two things. I understand that there will be areas where tough stand will not help. But if we start picking one two areas, it will start showing positive results. There is a famous saying in Hindi
बिन्दु बिन्दु से सिन्धु बना है,
बिन्दु बिन्दु से ये बादल
बिन्दु बिन्दु से निर्झर झरता ,
बनता लघु सरिता का जल ।।



1 comment:

  1. That inspires me to atleast not pay "suvidha Shulk" for my RC book transformation..:) Thanks for writing....

    ReplyDelete